Tuesday, September 16, 2008

lesson 3 Patrick

By the 4th one I almost had it, but messed up on the mouth and eyes

It wasn't until this lesson that I realized his face isn't painted on, it's actually meaty. It really made me watch for how our line-of-sight effects the thickness and overlapping of his features.

One thing that really kicked my butt was how curvy the tops of his cheeks are, and how they - and his nose - obscure the centerline.

Other than that, I still wanna work on developing a natural eye for the round shapes. And it's been a fun challenge trying to maintain life in his face while sticking to the structure. I want to get to the point where I'm working on these everyday.

3 comments:

Gabriele_Gabba said...

These look great, i think preserving the liveliness of the Preston's drawings is the hardest thing to capture..

Your 4th is good just some minor tweaking and it'll be perfect.

Caleb said...

Nice progress, Patrick. The cheeks look very meaty.

David Omar said...

Hey Patrick,

What can I say? You correct yourself pretty well already, you're already recognizing the subtleties in the Preston drawings. Keep it up, It's amazing that we are 5 weeks into this thing and everyone is getting great results.

-David O.