Thursday, September 11, 2008

drawing tips - Locking features into place

Hey guys, here's a couple tips I thought I'd share that help with constructing the face.
Like John K. said, draw one construction-line for the eyebrows, so they aren't floating around independently.
I also noticed that you can construct the cheeks as one line also, like they are for other finished characters in the book. Or, you could connect the cheeks like the eyebrows. Or both, Whichever works best for you.

Then I noticed that the features make up larger oval forms like this. And there's a V-shape that runs from the outer point of the eyebrows, through the center of the pupils, to the bottom-center of the nose, meeting at the center line. Plus, the teeth lines are directly underneath the center of the pupils.

This of course stays true at any angle! Just make sure the features wrap around the head. Look for patterns like this in every character.

6 comments:

Caleb said...

These lines are very helpful, thanks. I'm sure this is useful for other faces besides Preston's also.

James said...

WOW!! This is really great. I'll try to remember this for next time.

Gabe Fullilove said...

Good tips, thanks for sharing.

Gabriele_Gabba said...

Wow this is some smart thinking Patrick!

I have another idea of construction that came to me while i was reading The illusion of life. I'll try do a post on it soon.

David Omar said...

This is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

-David

Unknown said...

Good stuff. Bravo!