Thursday, August 28, 2008

LESSON 1 by Wicks for Candlesticks


Preston is definitely the great equalizer in cartooning.  This is my second time going through the lessons.  Cause of that I thought I could get through them easily, but it still took a lot of sheets of paper before I understood the nuances of the head.  Thanks again for the critiques in the past posts.  I used them to figure out some of the difficult shapes , like that damn mouth.   

Feel free to let me know what I missed and messed up on.  I want to get it perfect the next time I draw it.

-David O.

7 comments:

James said...

Dude. That is great!!! That is practically perfect. The only things wrong are the smallest most minor details. You are great.

Trevor Thompson said...

Definitely helps to doodle it a bit first. That's what I did with a couple of my practice George Liquor copies.

The only thing I think you missed ( we all did ) are those weird wrinkles in the cheeks. They're very thin.

- trevor.

Jeremy Brooks said...

Looks great David. As James said it's near perfect. The smile lines may be a little too thick where they meet the nose (just in the inking); and the outside oval doesn't have quite the line variance that Preston's does. These are just nitpicky things though. Great job.

Gabe Fullilove said...

I echo the same comments, you are very close to preston. On your Ink, your line weight on the outside of the egg is a bit heavy, but I'm nitpicking. Great work!

David Omar said...

Thanks for the comments,

I did notice the inking mistakes after I posted. I think I rushed it, I didn't think too much on how the cheek shape needs to make sense. I sorta looks like a mustache. I'll take my time next time.

-David O.

Gabriele_Gabba said...

I think you did a great job, and i second the opinions above, i'm just wondering what those lines on your pencil drawing are, they look like curved round axis lines? (forehead and chin)

I need to get into illustrator and inking me thinks..

David Omar said...

Thanks Gabriele!

Those were unnecessary lines, I was experimenting with new guide lines to keep the top of the eyes even. I think the mouth one is not needed.

-David O.