Thursday, August 21, 2008

Caricature it...

Hey guys, it's James.

Before we all begin posting, this is something I thought of when I first looked at the Blair book a while back. This is just a suggestion, and I want your input.

After each lesson you have your drawing perfected and real nice looking? You've become a master at that particular drawing? You can draw how you were trained to draw it. But we all want to develop our own unique styles. So keep the pose the same and all that, but caricature what you see. It gets more fun as the lessons go on. You can play with proportions, but keep it the same character just exaggerated. John made a post on this a while back...

John K Lesson 8: Proportions Affect Design Contrasts


John K: Designing a Character

It's just an idea. What do you fellas think?

-James

7 comments:

PJS said...

he made another great post about that concept
Here

James said...

Was this it?

John K: Designing a Character

Trevor Thompson said...

We should just invite John to the blog.

Anyone got his email address? I've got it.... I think.

- trevor.

David Omar said...

Hey james,

Sounds like a cool idea. Yet, caricatures of cartoons is an advanced subject. John K. even made that subject a YEAR 3 course for his fantasy art school. Since we are all at different skill levels I think we should focus on the basics (Blair copies and Clean-up). I don't discourage you to practice it. I just want everyone to get good at the basics.

-David O.

Caleb said...

I think it would be cool to do some fun drawings with the Preston examples, fundamentals first of course.

I think the fantasy art school would be a really good thing to work towards after the Preston guide.

If someone gets behind, we can keep adding lessons and they can catch up later.

David Omar said...

Yes, my hope is that we all get good enough that we can start helping out others the same way we learned. Maybe start a website or forum that follows John's cartoon school plan. All of us could teach different subjects, based on our specialties, and maybe some pros could help out as well.

-David O.

Trevor Thompson said...

I'm totally in favor of that.

- trevor.